2012 Reaching Home Housing Awards and Celebration Dinner
Nearly 400 people gathered on the evening of June 14 for the Reaching Home Campaign’s annual Housing Awards and Celebration Dinner event. The 2012 Dinner marks the seventh year that those involved in the effort to prevent and end homelessness have come together to celebrate the successes of the previous year. At the Dinner, the Reaching Home Campaign also honors those whose commitment to supportive housing has helped make it a proven solution to chronic homelessness.
Master of Ceremony Tim Bannon – Former Chief of Staff to Governor Malloy and former President of the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority – praised the work of those involved in preventing and ending homelessness in CT and noted that the state is firmly committed to creating more affordable and supportive housing opportunities. Each of the winners of the 2012 Reaching Home Housing Awards spoke eloquently about the need to use their positions to affect change.
Ron Krom, Executive Director of St Vincent de Paul Middletown, recipient of the Rev. Richard Schuster Supportive Housing Advocacy Award, stressed the need to remain focused on the individuals who are experiencing homelessness, listening to their needs and advocating for them.
The Janice Elliott Supportive Housing Tenant Award winners – Joan Artis and Dennis Cahill – discussed the importance of sharing their stories and of working to help those who are currently experiencing homelessness.
The final award, the Diane Randall Supportive Housing Leadership Award, was given to Connecticut’s Interagency Committee for Supportive Housing. Accepting on behalf of the Committee was Anne Foley, Under Secretary of the Office of Policy and Management, who reflected on the Committee’s work over the past 18 years, remarking that it is both the most long-standing cooperative interagency effort that she has been a part of, as well as the most successful. The entire membership of the Interagency Committee for Supportive Housing is listed below.
The Reaching Home Campaign congratulates our Award Winners and thanks them for their efforts to improve lives through their work to prevent and end homelessness.
The Partnership for Strong Communities thanks all who attended and the Dinner’s Honorary Committee. We also express our deepest gratitude to our sponsors, individual donors and all of the organizations who purchased advertisements for our event program. These gifts and grants represent not only a financial contribution, but also a deep commitment to our work by the individuals, corporations, and foundations which have provided them.
The 2012 Reaching Home Housing Award Winners:
The Janice Elliott Supportive Housing Tenant Award
- Joan Artis - Beat of the Street Newspaper and Journey Home Consumer Advisory Board; Hartford
- Dennis Cahill - Secretary of the Publicly-Assisted Housing Residents Network (PHRN); Bridgeport
The Rev. Richard Schuster Supportive Housing Advocacy Award
- Ron Krom; Executive Director, St Vincent DePaul; Middletown
The Diane Randall Supportive Housing Leadership Award
The Interagency Committee for Supportive Housing:
- Anne Foley, Under Secretary, Office of Policy and Management
- Terry Nash, Senior Mortgage Underwriter, CT Housing Finance Authority
- Deborah Alter, Senior Multifamily Underwriting Analyst, CT Housing Finance Authority
- Barbara Geller, Director, Statewide Services, CT Dept. of Mental Health and Addiction Services
- Dan Bannish, Director of Behavioral Health, CT Dept. of Correction
- Kim Somaroo-Rodriguez, Program Manager, Housing and Homeless Services, CT Dept. of Children and Families
- Dara Kovel, Chief Housing Officer, CT Housing Finance Authority
- Michael Santoro, Community Development Specialist, CT Dept. of Economic and Community Development
- Michael Peloso, Program Manager, Judicial Branch, Court Support Services Division Nancy O’Brien, Administrator, Multifamily Housing Development Programs, CT Housing Finance Authority
- Carl Stenman, Manager, Multifamily Housing Underwriting
- Neil Newman, Program Assistance Supervisor, CT Dept. Of Social Services
- Peter Palermino, Manager, Housing Services, CT Dept. of Social Services
- Steve Dilella, Director of Housing and Homeless Services, CT Dept. of Mental Health and Addiction Services
- Sarah Gallagher, Director, CT Program, Corporation for Supportive Housing
- John Dunne, Senior Program Manager, Corporation for Supportive Housing