Skip to main content
Category
Homelessness , Reports and Publications

NAEH State of Homelessness: 2021 Report

20 August 2021

In January of 2020, just one month before the COVID-19 pandemic shut down the state of Connecticut, there were 580,466 people experiencing homelessness in America according to the data collected from the nationwide, annual Point-In-Time (PIT) Count process.  

Between 2019 and 2020, homelessness increased by 2% in the United States, after being on a steady decline for about eight years before the trend reversed. As well, the unsheltered population has grown by 30%, almost wiping out nearly a decade of previous gains. The number of people currently living unsheltered is virtually as high as it was in 2007.  

Additional findings  from this data analysis include:  

  • 39% decrease in Veteran homelessness since 2007 
  • 27% decrease in families with children experiencing homelessness since 2007.  
  • Chronic individual homelessness had dropped by 35% prior to the change in trends. 
  • Most of the households experiencing homelessness were individuals (70%), with the remainder consisting of families with children (30%).  
  • Chronically homeless individuals made up approximately 19% of the homeless population.  
  • Men were found to be more likely than women to experience homelessness, with approximately 70% of individual male adults experiencing homelessness in the US.  
  • Race plays a large role in the experience of homelessness, with: 
    • 109 out of every 10,000 Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders experiencing homelessness 
    • 52 out of every 10,000 African Americans experiencing homelessness 
    • 45 out of every 10,000 Native Americans experiencing homelessness 

Through the 2020 CARES Act and the 2021 American Rescue Plan Act, Congress invested billions of new dollars in programs that should impact the number of people and families in permanent housing. Thus, permanent housing placements should be continuing on an upward trajectory in 2020, 2021, and possibly beyond. 

To access more information, details and graphics from the report, click here