An Equitable Systems Transformation Framework for COVID-19 highlights opportunities to ensure that the voices and experiences of marginalized communities are included in policies and decisions related to COVID-19.
The National Innovation Service (NIS) provides the following preliminary recommendations to communities that are working to respond to the COVID-19. These include:
- Having diverse representation in emergency management meetings to ensure equity-based decisions are part of the process.
- Figuring ways to engage and outreach to communities that have historically been distrustful of the government and medical system so that they can access to testing and care.
- Prioritizing housing as the main solution to keeping from re-entering the crisis response system and being able to adhere to social distancing guidelines.
- Holding on to standards and regulations that protect individuals and communities, such as non-discrimination standards.
- Keeping equity, racial equity as a critical component of the decisions and responses that are being made to address this issue.
- Practicing self-care so that you can continue to serve your community.
Click here to read the blog post from NIS.