In the past two weeks, members of the Reaching Home Campaign have been active at the Legislative Office Building testifying at Appropriations Hearings on the Governor’s proposed budget for FY 2019-2020. Over 40 members have submitted testimony for the public budget hearing and a number of bills, and many showed up to testify to support critical housing and homelessness resources that are needed to prevent and end homelessness.
At the Department of Housing hearing, we had eight members come out to speak in support of the proposed budget plans for DOH.
Three individuals were able to come out to speak in support of the proposed funding for critical wraparound services for those experiencing homelessness at the DMHAS hearing.
At the DSS hearing, five members came and testified in support of the Medicaid expansion proposal outlined in the Governor’s budget plan.
The Partnership for Strong Communities submitted the following testimonies for the public budget hearings:
- Department of Housing
- Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services
- Department of Social Services
PSC has also submitted written testimonies to:
- The Housing Committee to extend the moratorium on the Pilot for affordable housing properties and to increase housing choice and mobility for residents;
- The Planning and Development Committee to support multi-family housing and affordable housing for low-income families and affirmatively further fair housing; and
- The Labor and Public Employees Committee to support an increase to the minimum wage to $15 which might help to relieve the housing cost burden of many low-income households.
We are always looking for more support when it comes to advocating for critical resources and the impact they have at the Capitol as it relates to ending homelessness and expanding affordable housing. Reach out to us at email@example.com if you are interested in getting involved.
Please join PSC and CCEH for the 2019 Reaching Home Homelessness and Housing Advocacy Days at the Legislative Office Building on April 17th and April 18th.